I found this YouTube video by Newsbusters courtesy of Moonbattery.com. MSNBC correspondent Martin Bashir calls Sarah Palin America’s resident dunce for suggesting that the result of our ever growing national debt will be to condemn our children and grandchildren to slavery. He is outraged by the abuses and atrocities that slave owners committed against their slaves and suggests that Palin ought to be subject to the same abuses.
I am sure that what bothers most viewers of thus clip, at least the decent viewers, is the venomous hatred Bashir spews against Sarah Palin. What impresses me however, is that the joke is actually on the man who thinks that Sarah Palin is an idiot. As it happens, one of the most common forms of slavery through the ages and even today is debt slavery.
Debt slavery is a situation in which someone will borrow money and to repay the loan will agree to work for his creditor. Somehow because of interest and other charges levied on the debtor, he never is quite able to work off the loan. This form of slavery was very common in ancient Rome and many other parts of the world, including the American colonies where white settlers became indentured servants in order to pay the cost of passage across the Atlantic. It is still prevalent today even though it is prohibited by international law. So, it may just be possible that Sarah Palin knew what she was talking about.
Actually, Martin Bashir doesn’t seem to know very much about slavery at all, judging from his commentary. He seems to believe that slavery was invented in the American colonies in the sixteenth century and that the conditions faced by the black slaves were somehow uniquely horrible. In fact, slavery has existed throughout human history in various forms, some more oppressive than others. The conditions of the black slaves on the North American mainland were more humane than in the Caribbean islands where the slaves were worked to death. Slavery in the Roman Empire was especially cruel as a slave owner had the legal right to kill or rape his slaves. Moreover the Arabs were involved in the African slave trade for centuries before the Europeans and continued the trade until the European powers ended it with the colonization of Africa
. Of course slavery is always oppressive and degrading but perhaps Bashir should learn that America was not the only place slaves were kept and that there have been many different types of slavery.
- Where’s the Outrage?! MSNBC Host Martin Bashir Encourages Defecation, Urination on Sarah Palin (joemiller.us)Outrage from progressives against their fellow progressives. It never happens.
- This Martin Bashir Rant Should Make Sarah Palin Shut Her Mouth For Good (VIDEO) (addictinginfo.org)See what I mean.
- Martin Bashir says someone should defecate in Sarah Palin’s mouth. Has MSNBC gone mad? (blogs.telegraph.co.uk)
- Martin Bashir takes Sarah Palin-bashing way too far; calls for his suspension follow (bizpacreview.com)
- Hey, Martin Bashir: OWS protesters likened debt to slavery, too (twitchy.com)
- MSNBC Host Suggests Someone Should Sh*t in Palin’s Mouth and Pi$ in Her Eyes (Video) (thegatewaypundit.com)