I got an update from the Truth Team today, written by none other than former presidential candidate John Kerry.
Trust me: You and I learned the hard way eight years ago this August that in the new world we’re living in — one with 24-hour news cycles, the internet, blogs, the echo chamber, and now the new Citizens United-fueled Republican money machine — even completely baseless attacks can stick if people don’t call them out quickly enough. No matter how self-evidently false the attacks are, or how disreputable the people telling them may be, there’s no attack that can’t take hold.
Seeing the new outrageous attacks made against President Obama from a shadowy Republican-allied veterans group called OPSEC, which take issue with the mission to kill Osama bin Laden, remind me all too well of the notorious “Swift Boat” attacks I faced in the 2004 campaign. I honor and appreciate the service of my fellow veterans, but a false attack is a false attack — no matter who’s making it.
This would be the same John Kerry who testified about atrocities committed by his fellow servicemen. Atrocities that were apparently a product of his imagination. He can say what he wants about the “Swift Boat” attacks, but the fact that some of the men who served with him were willing to come forward to oppose his candidacy for the Presidency says a lot about just what his fellow veterans really thought of him.
- SEALs Attack Obama For Politicizing Osama Raid, Leaking Intel (outsidethebeltway.com)
- Navy SEAL Group Hits Back At Obama Campaign For ‘Swift Boat’ Comparison (usnews.com)
- Obama gets his own Swift Boat attack ad (video) (deathandtaxesmag.com)
- Swiftboat 2012: OpSec Attacks President Obama on Bin Laden (crooksandliars.com)
- The Navy Seals Have Had Enough With Obama (itmakessenseblog.com)
- Navy SEALs To Obama: You Didn’t Kill Osama – We Did (redalertpolitics.com) Oh no, the SEALS didn’t kill Osama bin Laden on their own. Somebody else made that happen.